كيمياء فيزيائية السلام عليكم اريد هذا الكتاب The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction by Peter Atkin

الموضوع في 'قسم الكيمياء' بواسطة ibnekhaldun, بتاريخ ‏مايو 26, 2011.

1. ibnekhaldun

ibnekhaldun Active Member

إنضم إلينا في:
    ‏أغسطس 17, 2007
    المشاركات:
    الإعجابات المتلقاة:
    نقاط الجوائز:

The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) [Paperback]
    Peter Atkins

Editorial Reviews

Review

Review from previous edition: "It takes not only a great writer but a great scientist with a lifetime's experience to explains such a notoriously tricky area with absolute economy and precision, not to mention humour." --Books of the Year, Observer. 30.11.08

"His engaging account...the lucid figures offer readers a firm understanding of energy and entropy." --Science 4/04/08

"Concise, well-written, engaging and carefully structured... an enjoyable and informative read." --Chemistry World 01/12/2007

"Peter Atkins's account of the core concepts of thermodynamics is beautifully crafted." --Simon Mitton, THES 16/11/2007

"A brief and invigoratingly limpid guide to the laws of thermodynamics." --Saturday Guardian 15/09/2007

"Atkins's systematic foundations should go a long way towards easing confusion about the subject...an engaging book, just the right length (and depth) for an absorbing, informative read." --Mark Haw, Nature 20/09/2007

"[Atkins'] ultra-compact guide to thermodynamics [is] a wonderful book that I wish I had read at university." --New Scientist 20/10/2007

Product Description

The laws of thermodynamics drive everything that happens in the universe. From the sudden expansion of a cloud of gas to the cooling of hot metal--everything is moved or restrained by four simple laws. Written by Peter Atkins, one of the world's leading authorities on thermodynamics, this powerful and compact introduction explains what these four laws are and how they work, using accessible language and virtually no mathematics. Guiding the reader a step at a time, Atkins begins with Zeroth (so named because the first two laws were well established before scientists realized that a third law, relating to temperature, should precede them--hence the jocular name zeroth), and proceeds through the First, Second, and Third Laws, offering a clear account of concepts such as the availability of work and the conservation of energy. Atkins ranges from the fascinating theory of entropy (revealing how its unstoppable rise constitutes the engine of the universe), through the concept of free energy, and to the brink, and then beyond the brink, of absolute zero.

Product Details

• Paperback: 144 pages
    • Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA (April 19, 2010)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 9780199572199
    • ISBN-13: 978-0199572199
    • ASIN: 0199572194
    • Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 4.6 x 0.3 inches

15 of 15 people found the following review helpful:
    4.0 out of 5 stars A no-nonsense introduction to thermodynamics, April 26, 2010
    By
    (Indiana, USA) -

This review is from: The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
    The field of thermodynamics sprung up in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, as the industrial revolution heated up and there was an increasing need to understand the steam engine as the driving force behind almost all of the technological development of that era. Throughout the nineteenth century most of the field was refined and set up on the intellectual foundations that we would be familiar with even today, and this very short introduction sums up the most important aspects of thermodynamics. This book is intended for the general audience as an accessible and minimally technical introduction to the laws of thermodynamics, as presently understood. The understanding of these laws has evolved over time, and especially with the advent of statistical physics they had been put on a wholly different foundation. However, this book does not delve at all into the statistical mechanics and introduces the laws of thermodynamics in their own right as a self-contained intellectual structure. It is actually quite remarkable that these laws have survived more or less intact all the incredible advances that have shaken the twentieth century physics - relativity, statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, etc. It is therefore very likely that whatever the final theory of the laws of nature ends up looking like, the laws of thermodynamics will still have its place in the intellectual underpinnings of science. As such, these laws could be rightfully considered an indispensible part of every modern education, and every person who aims to be considered scientifically literate would be wise to acquaint him/herself with the basic understanding of them. In that regard this short book is an excellent source of information. The only shortcoming that I could think of is the very cursory coverage of some more modern applications, like those that pertain to biology. Even so, it is a good introduction for people who just need a meat-and-potatoes understanding of thermodynamics.

10 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book, July 27, 2010
    By
    (Colorado) -

This review is from: The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
    This is a terrific book, one that I would recommend to someone without a scientific background who just want to know a bit about thermodynamics, to a student (including high school students) just starting to learn about this subject, to graduate students who know quite a lot about it and even to teachers of the subject. I say this as one who has experienced the subject from all of these vantage points. I am a retired scientist (materials), but I still retain an interest in many scientific subjects, but now from a more general viewpoint. I have studied thermodynamics both as an undergraduate and graduate student, I have used it professionally, and even used it in a graduate course that I taught. I therefore think that I can make this wholehearted recommendation from a reasonable vantage point, or more accurately vantage points.

Professor Atkins begins with the zeroth law (and why this is not the first law) and a discussion of temperature. Then it is on to the first law and the concept of energy, the second law and the concept of entropy, the concept of free energy, and finally the third law and attaining absolute zero. All this material is treated in a clear manner, without the differential equations and derivations of equations that can make thermodynamics a complex subject. Instead, the reader is treated to an excellent discussion of what the laws mean and why they are so important. Even though I felt well versed in the subject I learned a lot and found a lot to think about. For instance, Professor Atkins provides the best explanation of enthalpy that I have ever come across. Most books just introduce it without going into why it was developed and where it fits into the general scheme of things, but Professor Atkins rectifies this. Likewise, for the superb explanations of the Helmholtz and Gibbs free energies, and other topics such the thermodynamic temperature scale. Professor Atkins also introduces subjects such as applications to biology and the concept of negative temperature, but these are just glimpses into these subjects.

This is not a deep difficult book, it is easy to read and focused on teaching the reader important ideas, rather than dealing with them rigorously or in depth (nor would this be possible in less than 100 pages). With this book being only 100-pages long, and with a focus on concepts, there is little in the way of problem solving and the development of the myriad of thermodynamic equations that have been developed to solve engine and chemical problems. As such, this book is not a substitute for a thermodynamics text, rather it is a great adjunct to one.

I can think of no better source of information on the laws of thermodynamics, either as adjunct to a more standard text, or as a standalone book for someone who just wants to know what thermodynamics is all about, but does want to delve into the subject as deeply as one would in a complete college text.

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book., June 24, 2010
    By
    (Potsdam NY USA) -

This is an excellent book. The author is well known to all popular science readers as a
    distinguished scientists who can explain things well for the layperson, and this book is
    fully up to his high standards.

أعجب بهذه المشاركة chemistry
  2. chemistry

chemistry مستشار كلية العلوم النهرالخالد إداري

إنضم إلينا في:
    ‏فبراير 5, 2007
    المشاركات:
    الإعجابات المتلقاة:
    نقاط الجوائز:
    الجنس:
    ذكر
    غير متوفر الان اخى العزيز ممكن الكتب الموجوده فى القسم تنفع