الجبر كتاب : Linear Algebra and Its Applications

zidaan

اللؤلؤ المنثور
Linear Algebra and Its Applications

Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications"
Brooks Cole | 2005 | ISBN: 0030105676 | 544 pages | Djvu | 10,6 MB

Renowned professor and author Gilbert Strang demonstrates that linear algebra is a fascinating subject by showing both its beauty and value. While the mathematics is there, the effort is not all concentrated on proofs. Strang's emphasis is on understanding. He explains concepts, rather than deduces. This book is written in an informal and personal style and teaches real mathematics. The gears change in Chapter 2 as students reach the introduction of vector spaces. Throughout the book, the theory is motivated and reinforced by genuine applications, allowing pure mathematicians to teach applied mathematics.

Summary: The best book for a first course in applied linear algebra
Rating: 5

I would like to put this book in proper perspective.
As someone who works in a government research lab, and is called upon to use linear algebra in the real world, I want to make
a few comments to those who are not sure this book is right for them given the variance in the reviews.

1. This book presents an applied treatment of the subject appropriate for a first course. The goal of the
book is to provide the reader with a good intuitive understanding of the material. Geometrical arguments and diagrams
are used throughout without apology. Coordinates and matrices are emphasized. Formal proofs are not emphasized.

2. This book is geared toward those doing computations in the real world. Linear algebra
is the workhorse of modern applied mathematics. Any modern course on linear algebra that does not cover LU, QR, SVD,
and least squares is out of touch with reality and in my opinion doing a disservice to those who are paying $$$
for an education. Specifically, those who are ever planning
to get a job in engineering or the mathematical sciences will at some time be expected to solve (or understand how
software like MATLAB solves) least squares problems, systems
of linear equations, eigenvalue problems, linear diffy-q's, optimization problems, etc... As a result, this book
is focused on matrices and computations. This book faces up to the fact that in the real world we are always
forced to deal with a basis-dependent
finite-dimensional representation of our problem (e.g. PDE).

3. This book is not an
ivory tower treatment of theoretical linear algebra, although I would guess that someone who goes through this
book would better appreciate more mathematical treatments (Hoffman and Kunze, Halmos etc...) The concepts
are portable to more general treatments.

4. Those who require a second course in Linear Algebra covering Jordan Forms and more advanced material
will not have to unlearn anything from this book. Again, this book is introductory in the same sense that
one would not study Rudin's analysis book before going through a freshman calc sequence first.
The same is true for linear algebra.

5. Strang has a webpage with video lectures that augment the text and shed additional insight on the material. These
lectures are excellent and really demonstrate the love Strang has for teaching this subject to others.
In my opinion he has done the scientific and engineering communities a big service by writing this book and posting his
lectures.

6. Strang has another text on Linear Algebra, Intro to Linear Algebra. Although that text is geared at slightly
a lower level, I like the present text better as a learning tool.
The Intro text is slightly more disjoint in the presentation
and seems to leave more for the reader to discover rather than just presenting the information.

7. If you really do not like Strang's writing style (which is very conversational, and in my opinion, better
than the dry style of other texts), try Meyer's treatment. Meyer is more of a traditional text and provides
material for both a first and second course on linear algebra (with more emphasis on a second course). Good luck.

Summary: Wow...more than I ever wanted to know!
Rating: 5

This book takes on the very difficult challenge of linear algebra. The book is pretty good, but acces to Strang's online lectures is awesome! This guy is a very good instructor, and I highly recommend watching his lectures when going through this book.

depositfiles.com

uploading.com

mirror

عودة
أعلى